H.R. 1835, the New Alternative Transportation to Give Americans Solutions Act (or “NAT GAS” Act), was submitted to the 111th Congress on April 1, 2009. This bill contains robust support for natural gas transportation initiatives.
Key components are:
- Title I: Promote the purchase and use of NGVs with an Emphasis on Heavy Duty Vehicles and Fleet Vehicles
- Title II: Promote Production of NGVs by Original Equipment Manufacturers
- Title III. To Incentivize the Installation of Natural Gas Fuel Pumps and Service Stations and Depots and Domestic LNG Production Facilities for Small Energy Producers
- Title IV: Natural Gas Vehicles (Not later than 2014, at least 50% of all new vehicles purchased by the US Government shall be capable of operating on natural gas.)
- The bill contains tax credits for manufacturers and buyers of NGVs as well as for businesses that build natural gas refueling infrastructure.
Govtrack.us offers a summary and the full bill as follows:
Summary - http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1835&tab=summary
Full Bill - http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1835